Public Realm Update
Updated on 19/02/21:
Over the past few months, we have been working with our partners to make some much needed improvements to public spaces in and around the Royal Docks. These improvements form part of a long-term strategy to ensure the Royal Docks is an accessible, welcoming and safe space for people who live and work in the area and has been informed by detailed consultation with local people.
Some recent examples include a new and improved footpath along the northern edge of Royal Albert Dock, connecting the full northern edge of Royal Victoria and Royal Albert Dock for the first time in many years, as well as improvements to the lighting and landscaping around Crystal Gardens.
However, it doesn’t end there. There are a number of different sites across the Royal Docks which we will be enhancing over the coming months.
- Crystal Gardens: this project has now been completed
- Millennium Mills site: utility works and maintenance of Silo D (expected works duration, months)
- Thames Barrier Park café: fit-out of the park café building (expected works duration, 2 months)
- Lawns south-east of Royal Albert DLR station: re-landscaping and utility works expected works duration, 4 months)
- Vacant land west of University of London: re-landscaping and utility works expected works duration, 5 months)
- Dock Edge Access: unobstructed access along the northern dock edge from the Crystal building down to the eastern end of the docks (although at present the Nightingale Hospital has closed some areas). Gates between the UTC and Building 1000 will be open from 7am to 6:30pm daily throughout September
2021 Thames Barrier Park Improvement Works
Thames Barrier Park is receiving a re-fresh, following the consultation undertaken in 2020, with works comprising:
- Re-surfacing of perimeter paths
- Electrical upgrades
- More trees
- New benches
- Re-designed café terrace
The works will be undertaken in 3 separate phases starting mid-March and lasting until early December 2021, with a minimum of worksite occupation. The individual phases are timed as:
- Phase 1: Mid-March – Mid June 2021
- Phase 2: Mid-June – End August 2021
- Phase 3: End August – Early December 2021
Most green spaces and all facilities will continue to be accessible throughout the year, however some gates will have to be closed according to the individual phase. The work areas are shown in the above picture.