Art & Culture
Royal Docks Summer Programme – Call for Proposals
The Royal Docks Team (RDT) is looking for accessible, fun and creative activities and workshops for Royal Docks Summer Splash as part of our Summer Programme, At the Docks. We are looking to work with local creative/cultural organisations and artists to make a varied programme that appeals to diverse local communities.
Proposals can be from a cross-section of artforms and cultural activity / projects and sports. Particular areas of interest include all aspects of sustainability (include climate action, recycling and food growing) and health and wellbeing (including participation in sports, particularly swimming, running and cycling).
The organisations programmed will be responsible for managing and delivering their activity to an agreed set of creative, target audience/participant and production criteria. RDT will promote the activities as part of our Summer Programme, At the Docks.
- Take place within the Royal Docks Summer Splash footprint primarily in the Event Lawn area where picnic tables are detailed (these can be moved if required). The space will be approximately 10 metres by 10 metres (see image below).
- Be delivered by or with Newham/local-based creative organisations and artists
- Be free to audiences / participants
- Be accessible
- Be produced and managed by the partner organisation (supported by Bliss Events and reviewed by RDT)
About Royal Docks Summer Splash:
Since 2012, Summer Splash has offered a free, family-friendly day out for local people and visitors wanting to experience an urban waterfront in the heart of the city. Running from Monday 31st July to Sunday 20th August 2023 inclusive, Royal Docks Summer Splash will provide a safe space for people to relax on deckchairs and hang out in the urban water landscape of the Royal Victoria Dock. Royal Docks Summer Splash is operated by Bliss Events.
Support from the Royal Docks Team and Bliss Events
The Royal Docks Team will provide support in the promotion as part of our Summer Season – through newsletters, social media and our website. Activity should be branded as ‘supported by the Royal Docks Team’.
Bliss Events will be providing infrastructure for the event site this will include:
- Event Lawn with sand pits, public lido and pool deck area
- Toilets – including accessible/parent and child facilities
- Changing Facilities (see picture below)
- Security, First aid, Lifeguard, Cleaning and Site Management staffing
- Small storage area
- Limited power (available on pre request and subject to location)
- Deckchairs, picnic benches and umbrellas
- Support to produce a risk assessment for your activity
Activities programmed should be accessible, fun and appeal to a wide range of local audiences in terms of:
- A wide range of backgrounds
- Different age groups - young people, older people, intergenerational
- Family audiences
- Culturally diverse communities around the Royal Docks
- Heritage focussed audiences
- Arts & culture focussed audiences
Activity should ideally take place within the dates of Royal Docks Summer Splash - Monday 31 July to Sunday 20 August 2023
We are looking for activity with budgets of up to £1000 maximum.
To submit your proposal, please complete this form by midnight on Sunday 21 May 2023.
If you would like to discuss your proposal before submitting or if you need assistance to complete the form, please email RoyalDocksEvents@london.gov.uk with “Summer Programme – At the Docks” in the subject line.
Royal Docks vision is to be London’s Cultural Engine, a creation centre where artists and creatives make work, and which has a thriving cultural ecosystem : it’s a bold goal, but one that is achievable because it is rooted in local talent, ambition, and community.
Our Cultural Placemaking Strategy shows how we’re planning to get there. Inspired by the people and heritage of the Royal Docks, our strategy highlights the unique opportunity we have to create a cultural destination unmatched in London today.
The ‘Programme’ pillar of the strategy details events and activities will be commissioned and curated to attract, excite, and inspire all who engage with the Royal Docks.
The Royal Docks Team is a multi-disciplinary team that brings together officers from across the Greater London Authority, the London Borough of Newham and the London Economic Action Partnership. Home to London’s only Enterprise Zone, the Royal Docks is one of the most significant regeneration projects in the UK. The team was established in 2017 to help deliver the cohesive transformation of the Royal Docks into a vibrant, mixed-use destination with culture and community at its heart.
Location and Access
Address: Royal Victoria Dock London, E16 1GB
There is very limited parking near the site, vehicle access for drop offs can be arranged. We recommend travel by public transport where possible. The site is 1 min walk from Emirates Air Line Royal Docks, 3 mins walk from Royal Victoria DLR and 10 mins walk from West Silvertown DLR
Stories from around the docks
Art & Culture
Launch of the fifth edition of the Pews & Perches Design Competition
The Royal Docks Team has launched its fifth round of the prestigious Pews and Perches design competition in partnership with the London Festival of Architecture.